Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Storytelling Week 2: The Case of Thataka

“Let’s go,” Viswamithra shouted to Rama and Lakshmana, waking them up.

It was hard to believe that Rama and Lakshmana had managed to fall asleep in the crowded police car before they were expected to leave on their next assignment at dawn.  Viswamithra jumped into the driver’s seat and began to drive to Wasteland. 

Rama and Lakshmana had only been on the force for a few months, but Viswamithra had demanded that the two come on this assignment.  Without question, Rama and Lakshmana took the case but still questioned why they were chosen to go to Wasteland.  The Wasteland was a notorious trailer park that was avoided by cops because of the heavy drug use.  For this reason, the two rookies couldn’t believe that there was an assignment in this part of their district.

After a few minutes of riding in silence, Rama asked, “Viswamithra, what are we doing in Wasteland?”

            “We’re going to arrest a major dealer.”

“What!” Rama and Lakshmana both exclaimed.

“Are you sure that we should be on this assignment?” asked Lakshmana.

            “Yes,” Viswamithra answered plainly. 

After a long pause Rama asked, “Well, how are we taking him in?”

“He is a she, and her name is Thataka.  She’s sixty-five years old and a mother of two.”

“Really? Rare for a woman to be on the dealing side,” Rama said puzzled. 

“I know but don’t be deceived by her gender.  She’s been in this game for many years.”

“Years? How does a woman get into the drug business?” asked Lakshmana shocked.

            “To be honest,” Viswamithra started, “I don’t know the entire story but I do know enough.  She was from a pretty nice family but at about sixteen, she got pregnant by this regular hood rat named Sunda.  Thataka's parents disowned her, one kid turns into two.  How can a teenage mom and deadbeat dad support themselves and two kids? Sell cheap drugs.  Sunda was the main dealer, and she did whatever he asked.  I guess that’s how it all started.”

            "Well, how did she become a big dealer?" Rama asked annoyed.

“I suppose,” Viswamithra continued, “everything went okay until her sons Mareecha and Subahu were reported selling drugs around their high school.  The police followed the drugs back to their father and a few weeks later, the police set up a sting.  During the sting, things went bad, and there was a shootout.  Sunda was shot and killed, but then his sons joined in and killed three cops.  At the end of the day, four people were dead, Mareecha and Subahu were arrested on multiple felony counts, and Thataka was left alone in that trailer house.  She never graduated from high school.  All she knew was how to make easy money through dealing.  So, that’s what she did and she became the number one dealer in Wasteland, and Wasteland became the number one place to rot.  All these drugs and the people they create, no wonder this place can’t sustain any life.”

After a couple minutes of silence, Rama asked, “There’s one thing I still don’t get.  Why didn’t they arrest Thataka along with her sons?  They would’ve had to know she was a part of it.”

 “Simple, she was a woman,” Viswamithra said just as he put the car in park.  “Let’s go.”
An older cop car model from the Gorillaz music video "Stylo." Source:Wikipedia.

Author’s Note
For this post, I wanted to update “Thataka’s Story” with a contemporary setting and focus on crime, which is something that we can all relate to.  I only wanted to focus on Viswamithra telling Rama and Lakshmana her story and their reaction to it.  Within the original, I found Thataka’s back-story more interesting than the scene where she is killed.  She is described as someone who falls from a goddess to a demon.  Through this story, I wanted to explain why she fell and what really happened to her and her family.  Furthermore, her story allowed for so much creativity, and I felt like I could do the most with her back-story.  I wanted to show her suffering and how these choices led to her being alone, which is why I chose to have her sons leave.  Within the original story, she seems like a bitter and lonely woman.  For these reasons, I chose to not include Rama killing Thataka.  I chose the crime of drug dealing because the type of destruction it does to communities paralleled nicely to the type of destruction Thataka does to the land.  Within the original story, Mareecha and Subahu are a bad influence over their father, and Thataka and Sunda get married and then have children.  Other than these two changes, the rest of my story is true to plot.   

Bibliography
Narayan, R. K. (1972).  The Ramayana

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this story! I thought the storyline you picked was super creative, yet very clearly illustrated the story you based it off of. Every component of the original story was included, just in a contemporary and creative setting. I also really enjoyed the dialogue you used, and the fact that you kept their original names. I thought it made it more authentic and story-like. Great job on this retelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is very creative! I love how you modernized this tale! It gives a great prospective for people from this day and age for this story. It is also comical when you talk about a "hood rat" and teen pregnancy because I am sure we can all relate to this story as we probably know people in this same situation from high school. I am from Broken Arrow, Ok, which is the biggest school in Oklahoma. Along with a lot of comes the losers that I knew that are still dealing with some of these similar experiences. Good story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kristen! The layout of your blog flows nicely, and the portfolio set up is good! I like how you added a little info before each story's link to give some info leading up to it. I think it would also be useful to have a short paragraph giving a theme to the portfolio. It seems to me like you have chosen stories about the Rakshasas so far, which I think is a really interesting theme! Maybe a brief insight welcoming people to your portfolio and letting them know they are in for some interesting stories about different Rakshasa!

    This story is a great modern twist on the tale of Thataka. You did a great job making Rama and Lakshmana cops, and creating a drug ring with the Rakshasa. That is so creative, and I really enjoyed reading it. Your story flowed very well, and you did an excellent job separating your dialog. That's certainly something I struggle with when writing, but you did excellent! I certainly feel bad for Thataka seeing all she has been through, and it is sad to see how she had to resort to selling drugs to make it. I also really enjoyed how you set the Wasteland up as a place "unable to sustain life" simply because of the drugs and poor lifestyle. Great job, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kristen,
    I really enjoyed looking through your website and looking at your portfolio. I liked how you gave a little bit of blurb and a tid bit of info on your portfolio page that way your reader is gaining a little bit of extra info before they jump into your story. I think I am going to add that because I think it adds more to your story when you know what you are about to read. Even though it is a short sentence it really captures what you are about to dive into! I also really like how this story focused on crime. I think this story really shows how Thataka really does suffer. It is true that Thataka is bitter and lonely so I think that was a perfectly fine to have her sons leave. The drug dealing in the story really gives the story depth. I really enjoyed this story! Good job Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the modern adaptation of this story. Making them police officers was a great interpretation of their mission and travels. I was really confused that the beginning of the story. All the sudden they were going to Wasteland, and then there was something about a mission? I would have liked to see some more detail there, or more information. What is a regular hood rat? I have never heard of such a thing! That was really funny that you included that detail! The image in my mind of a cop saying “regular hood rat” is absolutely hysterical. Your dialogue is fantastic! Making the dialogue the bulk of your story added a very life like element to it. The adaptation of Thatak’s back-story was fun to hear, especially since it was not as major as her death. Wait, why were they sleeping in the police car? Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristen! I really enjoyed your portfolio story! I think that you did an excellent job with your use of dialogue. It jumped back and fourth very quickly, holding my interest and allowing the reader to better understand the characters. I think it is really neat how you made Rama and Lakshmana police officers. I think that is such a fun and unique modern twist to add to the story to truly make it your own! I loved the detail that you included!

    I like the picture that you included of the cop car. It really helped me to visualize them riding around in an older cop car in the story!

    I really like that you have white text on a black background. It makes it easy to read and it looks really nice!

    You did a great job and I am looking forward to reading more of your stories in the coming weeks of class!

    ReplyDelete