Saturday, January 31, 2015

Reading Diary A Week 4: The Beginning

            Something that I really like about Buck’s version of the Ramayana is that he includes so much background information.  The beginning is what is so striking to me.  He sets up the story as happening thousands of years later from the events of the Ramayana through someone telling a story about someone else telling a story.  It’s a bit complicated at first, but eventually it all starts to make sense. 
            What most interested me in this reading section was Valmiki helping Sita.  Buck’s version explains that Valmiki has been chosen to care for Sita so that she does not commit suicide after Rama has abandoned her.  When I first read this, I was surprised.  I honestly thought Buck’s version would not have differed so much from Narayan’s but I was obviously wrong.  Something else that is interesting to me is that the text explains that Sita has done nothing wrong, but Rama must still banish her because the people within their kingdom do not like her.  Here, I really wish that we would have been given more details, but I suppose we are most likely not supposed to know what she is accused of because she didn’t do anything wrong.  However, the suspense and ambiguity is killing me.  Obviously, I understand that Sita’s banishment is nothing more than a useful plot device so that the Ramayana can be told to us, but it is annoying. 
             Overall, I am pleasantly surprised because I thought that Buck’s version of the Ramayana would have been so similar to Narayan’s version that I would have been bored and uninspired to write storytelling posts, but it appears that this version will be very different.  

Valmiki. Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment