Thursday, January 15, 2015

Storybook Favorites

The first story I found interesting was Paranormal: The Ayodhya Files.  This story caught my eye because it obviously involves aspects of paranormal horror.  From the title, I immediately knew that the story was about paranormal activity.  Furthermore, by using the word “files” in the title, I knew that the story would pertain to mysteries or specific cases.  The Introduction really caught my eye because it seems to be a retelling of the Ramayana.  Furthermore, the Introduction sets up the story and some background while leaving plenty of mystery.  The thing that really grabbed my attention was that the story made the Ramayana a paranormal horror.  I think it is extremely creative.  The layout of the page definitely makes it an easy read.  I really appreciate that the creator put two pictures in the Introduction.  I also appreciate that the creator labeled each page as a specific case file.  The entire site has a creepy feel from the foggy background of a forest to the green text.  It reminds me of a cheesy paranormal show, but I love it.  I also like that each page has at least one picture, but the picture that is posted on the page “Case File: The Demon Ravana” doesn’t exist anymore.  Overall, I found the site to be aesthetically pleasing and very easy to navigate.

Another story that caught my attention for similar reasons was Indian Horror Story: Tales of the Lingering Souls.  Obviously I was interested in this story because it is a horror story.  From the Introduction, I immediately became intrigued because it set up previous, mysterious deaths.  The Introduction also gave hints as to what could go wrong within the story.  Although some might find this to be cheesy, I didn’t mind it because the Introduction still left plenty of mystery.  The design of the site was easy to navigate, but the Introduction was only labeled “Soul of a House.”  For this reason, I was a little confused at first where to read the Introduction.  I liked that each page had a picture.  Especially on “Soul of a Sobbing Man” because it contained pictures of hand-written letters, which I personally thought was cool.

The last story I found was Zoo Animal History: Trolley Tour.  I chose this story because I like animals.  What I found to be intriguing from the Introduction was that the story was essentially a zoo tour of the mythological animals from the Ramayana.  The story is set up like a children’s story, but because I am a kid at heart, it didn’t bother me.  Since it is geared towards children, the layout is covered with a background picture of various colorful animals as well as fun, cartoon pictures on some pages.  However, the pages that describe the animals use lifelike paintings of the creatures.  This is not a bad thing, but it is a bit out of place from the atmosphere that has already been created.  Another thing that I did not particularly like was the font.  It is fun and different, but it does make reading a bit harder.  Overall, the site was easy to navigate.
Zoo Animal History: Trolley Tour Source: Sarah Hardgrave

No comments:

Post a Comment