Saturday, January 24, 2015

Famous Last Words Week 2

This week has been crazy.  I keep hoping that this semester slows down, but it hasn’t slowed down a bit.  Within this class, I feel that I’ve accomplished a lot.  I really enjoyed writing my story this week.  As soon as I read Thataka’s story within the Ramayana, this idea popped into my head.  I think I went out of the box on this writing project, but I’m glad I did.  I hope that I can get inspired like this for future storytelling projects.  I think one strategy that helped me out this week was to pick parts of the text that are not main focal points.  For me, I find it challenging to elaborate and be creative with main points within the story such as Rama meeting Sita and Rama being exiled.  I think that it is already put into great detail and I just can’t find the will to put my creativity into it.  I believe that it is predictable and a waste of an opportunity, but in the future, I may be inspired to write about a main plot section. 
The best writing that I read this week was Marielle’s storytelling post.  She wrote about Kaikeyi and her inner thoughts on being abandoned.  She did a really great job at explaining her insecurities and fears.  I even sympathized with Kaikeyi after reading it because Marielle showed Kaikeyi as someone who has had a difficult life as a woman because she was only seen as a dumb, sex object.  I think most women could relate to her struggle as being underestimated because of their sex.  By writing this section of the story from Kaikeyi’s point of view, it greatly helps the reader identify with her.  I hope Marielle realizes how great of a writer she is.

Overall, this week has been hectic with homework, school, and work, but next weekend should be better.
Kaikeyi asking Dasaratha for Rama's exile. Source: Wikimedia

1 comment:

  1. I hope your semester slows down so you are able to enjoy some down time! I agree about feeling accomplished in this class. I am not the best writer, but I enjoy trying my hardest and thinking outside of my own box with these storytelling posts. I also agree, I believe Marielle’s storytelling post was great, and I really enjoyed reading it. I also sympathized with Kaikeyi, which I never thought I would have. Keep working hard!

    ReplyDelete