Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Storytelling Week 5: The Valakhilyas' Plea

They come during the night in great hordes devouring any creature in their path.  They have destroyed us in so many ways.  We cannot go out anymore.  We are truly prisoners within our own forest, our own home.  The Rakshasas have taken everything away from us by destroying our safety. 

            They are horrible beasts who come in all forms.  Some stand taller than the trees of the forest with hands and feet that destroy any life.  Others crawl and slide on their stomachs, slurping up any creature on the ground with long tongues that have viscous spikes attached to them.  Some can even fly, picking up small animals by their necks and quickly crushing them.  But the most dangerous Rakshasas are the fast ones.  They can sprint on all fours or just two legs.  They have hands with a large claw used for gripping, tearing, and killing.  There are also Rakshasas with large red eyes, tiny black eyes, and some who have no eyes, only black pits that give no hint of a soul.  However, all of the monstrous Rakshasas that inhabit our forest have an unquenchable blood lust.  They stop at nothing.  They have no boundaries.  They only care about feeding on weaker creatures like us and they are never satisfied. 

            The things they do to creatures...terrible things that cannot be imagined by a sane mind.  We have witnessed our own being skinned alive without hesitation from the Rakshasas.  At first, they were fast deaths followed by fast consumption, only leaving piles of bones.  But they became hungry for suffering.  They tortured our people, played with them before feasting.  Now, they skin their victims alive slowly, tearing inches of skin off one piece at a time.  The screams are something that no one has ever heard before.  We are not sure if they are the screams of the poor creature who is dying or the Rakshasa.   They are agonizing and painful to hear.  None of us can forget those horrific sounds and some of us hear these screams in our sleep.  We cannot imagine how the Valakhilya who is dying must feel, and we never want to. 

            During the day, when we scavenge for food, we find bones, so many bones.  They are stripped of flesh.  Some are even hollow as if the Rakshasas have sipped the marrow from every bone.  You cannot imagine how many piles of bones we find.  We find small bones from our own kind and larger bones from humans, birds, deer, bears, and tigers.  Some piles have smaller Rakshasas within them.  How can such ruthless creatures who lust for death and blood even from one of their own exist.  If they can kill their own, they will surely destroy every trace of us, the small and innocent Valakhilya. 

            Rama, we are scared, terrified.  The life we live now is hopeless and meaningless because we know that a cruel and torturous existence is all that is left.  Please, Rama!  You cannot deny us our safety, our lives.  If you do not help us, we will die either from the Rakshasas or from our hopelessness.  
A Rakshasa depicted in the art of Yakshagana.  Source:Wikipedia.

Author’s Note
For this week, I wanted to retell the Valakhilyas’ plea to Rama.  Rama meets the Valakhilyas, who are tiny sages, in the Dandaka forest after his exile.  Within Buck’s version of the Ramayana, I found his use of detail and description of the Rakshasas from the perspective of Valakhilyas very intriguing.  However, I wished that there would have been more detail on what the Rakshasas did to the Valakhilyas and other beings within the forest.  For these reasons, I wanted to expand this detail in order to show how horrific these creatures really are.  I mainly did this by giving more detail and description of the type of destruction and fear the Valakhilyas have to deal with.  Overall, I wanted to expand this section of the Ramayana.  I didn’t include the dialogue from Rama, Lakshmana, and Sita because that was not what I wanted to focus on.  Instead, I just wanted to convey the type of distress that the Valakhilyas have to endure.  Essentially, I wanted to make it thematic, descriptive, and highly detailed.  At times, I did struggle because I didn’t want to sound too redundant.  I don’t believe that I was, but if you feel like some parts are redundant please tell me.  This retelling of the Valakhilyas’ plea is true to plot. 

Bibliography
Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way. 

6 comments:

  1. I love the topic that you wrote about this week! I found the Valakhilyas to be very interesting, and I wanted to know more about them when I was reading the book. I really enjoyed how you wrote the descriptions of the Rakshasas. It was very fascinating and kept me wanting to read it. I liked how descriptive your whole story was, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristen,
    Your intro paragraph did a great job of grabbing my attention. You were incredibly descriptive when it came to the Rakshasas. Before reading your story I did not have a good picture in my head of how these demons looked. They sound really terrifying. The story had kind of an eerie feel to it which was fitting. You did an awesome job on this one. I look forward to reading your next story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,

    I believe you achieved your goals for this story! Before reading your author’s note, I was telling myself how descriptive and dramatic your story is. Overall, I thought it was fantastic. I loved the imagery you created and was easily able to develop a hatred for the Rakshasas. Your link functioned and I think your formatting was well executed.

    One suggestion that I have is to introduce Rama towards the beginning. Maybe at the very end of paragraph one (Something as simple as “Rama, we need your help!”). I think by doing that it could tie together the introduction to the end paragraph which is directed toward Rama. Another suggestion is to maybe describe the Valakhilyas if possible. This may be hard to do, but if accomplished, I think more emphasis will be placed on the Valakhilyas being victimized. To be clear though, I wasn’t confused that they were victims. You did a good job of communicating that.

    You did a great job! I think your worries about redundancy are unnecessary. I thought you implemented repetition as a technique very well and it helped to emphasize how horrible the Rakshasas and their deeds are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kristen! Are you planning on directing movies in the future? If so, you should write horror movies for a living. I felt like I was one of the Valakhilyas in the forest! I instantly felt like I was in a cold, dark place like a forest where it was quiet other than the torturous events around me. Although I originally did not remember what “Rakshasas” was referring to, your story gave a detailed explanation of their demonic stature. I really liked that you described them as being so tall that they tower over the trees to being so small that they can slither around like a snake. It really helped describe how fearful they were because the demons were literally all around them. I also like that you described that they are so evil and blood thirsty that they go as far as sucking out the bone marrow; thus leaving super dry bones. Overall, really great writing! Like I previously stated, I felt like I was actually there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When doing a glance at the layout of your post, everything looks good. The link in the picture works, and your font and theme go well together so that the story is easy to read.

    When reading this story, I found that I really liked it. Your word choice was very good, and there was a great variation to sentence structure and length. The story also flows very well, and pulls us in to feel sympathy for the poor creatures that are being hunted by the Rakshasas.

    One comment that I have about your story is in your second to last paragraph. You say, “Some are even hollow as if the Rakshasas have sipped the marrow from every bone”. However, if they had sipped the marrow from every bone, then it wouldn’t only be some that are found hollow.

    Your author’s note is great, really expressing what your goal was in the story. And I believe that you did meet that goal. You made a nice expansion of what you aimed to expand upon.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kristen,

    What a powerful opening! It very much reminded me of Beauty and the Beast, of the part where Gaston gets the villagers to go to the castle and kill the beast; the part of the movie literally right before he breaks out into song. Loved your descriptions of the Rakahasas! I actually got a little bit scared reading them; a chill actually ran down my spine! What is the Valakhilya? I know that the narrator is one, but maybe establish that when the Valakhilya is first mention (we cannot imagine how one of our own people, the valakhilya,…). I loved how the entire thing ended up being a plea for help from the Valakhilya to Rama. Personally, I just enjoyed every part of your descriptions. You painted a picture in such a way that I could literally see every inch of your story. I loved it. I absolutely loved it! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete