Friday, February 6, 2015

Reading Diary A Week 5: The Valakhilya

            Something that I found interesting about this reading section was the Valakhilyas.  While I really didn’t find the Valakhilyas interesting, I did find their descriptions about the demons and their actions intriguing.  The language that Buck used really struck me.  I thought it was beautiful and fascinating.  While I often find that too much descriptive imagery takes away from the plot or action within the scene, I found these descriptions to add to the action and keep me intrigued through this section of the story. 

Some of my favorite descriptions are:

“‘Rakshasas prowl for flesh by night.  They overshadow the darkness as though they would crush the mountains down.  We must endure demons and submit to them.  We have seen mountains of bones from the victims they have slaughtered, white bones, Rama, white bones...,’” (Buck 143).

“‘We hide from the Rakshasas of Lanka walking abroad through Dandaka, in form like hideous charred corpses from some cremation ground,’” (Buck 144).


            These descriptions of the Rakshasas from the Valakhilya are very disturbing.  By saying that they create mountains of white bones, Buck is inferring that they are killing so many of the Valakhilyas and other creatures that their bones create mountains.  Furthermore, the fact the bones are described as being white says that the Rakshasas have cleaned the bones so thoroughly by eating that they have turned white.  Another thing that I liked about this section was that Sita had a voice and actually stood up to Rama about starting a war.  However, Rama and Lakshmana quickly correct her thinking. 


Rakshasa.  Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment