Thursday, February 12, 2015

Famous Last Words Week 5

          This week has been very blah for me.  Nothing has really happened, except that every day I wake up more tired than I was the day before.  I wish I could get out of this funk of being tired and wanting to do absolutely nothing.  I have heard people say that an easy way to get more energy is to fake it at first.  They say that eventually, the real energy will come.  That sounds great, but every morning I am struggling to put on mascara, which is a big deal for me because otherwise I would have no eyelashes.
            As always, I would like to be more ahead in this class, but I’m happy where I am at the moment.  I’m a little anxious about the Projects.  I chose to do a Portfolio and I’m happy with my choice but I’m just anxious to see other people’s projects and their reactions to my own.  I think the first week of projects went ok.  I didn’t receive too much negative feedback and overall, I was pleased with what was said. 
            Something interesting that I did in another class was that I got to watch the film New Jack City.  The film is about a cocaine dealer within Harlem destroying his own community through the selling of drugs.  I like the film because it truly doesn’t glamorize drug culture.  Instead, it shows a man who tears down his community through selling cocaine, killing all of those who oppose, even his best friend since childhood, and essentially becoming a drug lord who controls the community.  The one thing that I found interesting about the film was how he bought the community off.  At one point in the film, the drug lord gives food to the entire community and at another time he buys off the local reverend by giving his daughter her dream wedding.  However, his true colors are eventually shown because later on in the wedding scene he uses a flower girl as a human shield during a shoot out.  I found this film to be interesting and I wonder why it is not as remembered as other films from the 90s.  
Wesley Snipes plays the drug lord within the film New Jack City.  Source: Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment