Saturday, March 7, 2015

Storytelling Week 9: Shantanu's Misfortune

When I first saw her by the river, I knew she was the woman whom I wanted to marry and mother my children.  She was absolutely beautiful with long, soft waves, like the water on a calm morning by the ocean, of rich dark hair that fell to her lower back.  Her olive skin looked softer than any piece of fine silk, and her eyes were a mesmerizing sepia color that would cause any noble man to become speechless.  She noticed me watching her from some trees not too far from the river bank.  She smiled and waved for me to walk over.  We didn’t speak much.  In fact, I never even asked for her name; however, I was so captivated by her beauty and charm that I asked her to become my wife.  Without any hesitation she assuredly said yes. 

Before I could fully take in my happiness and fortune at finding such a great beauty to be my wife, she made a demand that forced to uphold or else she would not agree to be my wife.  Furthermore, if I ever broke this promise during our marriage, our marriage would be over.  No matter what she did, at any time, I would never question her or her actions.  At the time, I thought nothing of this request.  I only thought of wedding this beautiful being before me and starting a family with her.  To me, this powerful request was an act of a woman ensuring her safety, happiness, and freedom within a marriage to a king.  For this reason, I quickly agreed to her demands.

A few days later, we were married in an elaborate wedding full of food, lights, and entertainment, and only a few months later, my wife was pregnant.  I was so elated to be a father and have an heir to my kingdom.  It was the most joyous time of my life.  Never throughout the first few months of our marriage did she do anything that would have caused concern.  In fact, she was a perfect wife who was humble and supportive.  She was a virtuous queen, and everyone within the kingdom adored her. 

Once our first child was born, we were overwhelmed with happiness.  I couldn’t wait to watch this child grow; however, my wish never came true.  After only a few months, my wife took our child to the Ganga River and drowned him.  I couldn’t believe that such an act was possible.  How could my beautiful wife who had never shown a harmful trait kill our innocent child?  I was heartbroken but I kept my silence in order to keep my marriage.  I thought that perhaps this was a one-time occurrence, or a test to see if I would truly hold to my promise.  However, my wife went on to kill six more of our children.  Once she became pregnant with our eighth child, I could no longer remain passive.  I knew that I had to destroy my marriage to save my child’s life.  

Giving her up was a difficult decision, but I had to save my child.  Every time I would hold him in my arms, I looked into his eyes and I saw myself.  I couldn’t handle seeing him die like the others.  I just couldn’t.
Shantanu meeting a beautiful women by the Ganga River.  Source: Wikipedia.

Author’s Note
For this week, I chose to tell the beginning of the Mahabharata where Shantanu meets Ganga, marries her, and discovers that she is drowning their children.  Within the original, Shantanu never questions or forbids Ganga to do this because of a promise that he made to her before they were married.  Essentially, I found it just so interesting for an individual to remain quiet while his children are murdered.  For this reason, I wanted to focus on Shantanu’s perspective and inner dialogue throughout these events.  I wanted to capture his fascination with Ganga and her beauty, which had an effect on him giving her whatever she asked for in order to become his wife.  I chose to have no dialogue within my story because I felt that it would distract from Shantanu’s thoughts, and the original gives some dialogue from the characters.  For these reasons, I felt that it was not needed.  I also chose to end this story before Ganga reveals her true actions because I wanted the sole focus to be on Shantanu’s thoughts while he sees his wife go from a good woman to the killer of his children.  While the story is very true to the original, I did expand on some details.  For example, within the original, their first child is given no specific gender, and Ganga is merely described as beautiful without any detail. 

Bibliography
Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your take on the story. Your author’s note was on point. I wish I were that good at explaining why I wrote my story the way I did. I can totally appreciate your use of no dialog. It was an interesting twist getting to focus on Shantanu’s inner thoughts! Very well written story. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kriten, I really do enjoy coming to your blog. You have some of the best stories to read. They are so creative and easy to understand. I think that his story was great, and you explained everything well. I understand how you wanted to capture Shantanu's thoughts about his wife The Ganga. I agree that it was probably best to leave dialogue out seeing that he never said anything to his wife while she drowned seven kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great imagery! I was captivated by your description of Ganga. I also found it interesting that Shantanu was so quiet while such an unthinkable deed was being performed over and over again. I have always had the perspective that bystanders are just as terrible as the wrong-doer. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people are unwilling to stand up for others (simply because it is easier). Maybe this section of the story is showing that concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen,
    You did quite a great job in your description of Ganga. It is understandable that, after seeing this woman, Shantanu would be captivated and hope to marry her. So when I read this – both here and in the Mahabharata – I found this request to be very odd and assumed that she was going to do something unthinkable. As I read your story, I appreciate how much detail you afford to Shantanu’s thoughts. I think that the story becomes so much more rich when the reader is provided with some perceptions that may not be explicitly stated; for example, with your provision of this thoughts, I’m now better able to predict Shantanu’s actions and understand the logic behind others. I did find one grammatical error, and it was in your description of the picture that you included; You typed ‘women’ when in fact I believe that you meant to type woman.

    ReplyDelete