Friday, March 13, 2015

Reading Diary A Week 10: Giant Deer and A Lake

The part about the deer and the Brahmin is so interesting.  Where did this deer come from?  Why did it take these things?  Was it by accident?  Why is this deer a giant?  I think that these could be great topics for storytelling.  Also the part about the voice form lake.  Who is the voice?  What is in the water?  Why does it kill those who drink it?  I know that it is a test from their father.  It seems stupid.  Like they really didn’t listen to a mystical voice saying do not drink this water until they answer some questions for unknown reasons.  I mean what does this really prove?  I think it opens up great opportunities for a storytelling blog, but it makes no sense at all. It just seems like a dumb way to set up Yudhishthira as the good son or the wise son.  It just seems dumb, but I am sure that this will have great affect on their lives and adventures.  I am also sure that it has something to do with dharma and karma and some higher mystical power, but I just cannot get past loopholes within a plot and narrative.  I guess modern Western storytelling conventions, especially within a narrative or a plot, have ruined me and most likely others when we read stories from not only the past but also stories from other countries.  I wonder if people like Buck or Narayan who retell stories like this consciously understand this type of struggle.  On one hand they need to be faithful to the text, but on the other side they have a flaky narrative.  
A lake. Source: Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment